Saturday, June 4, 2011

A great tip and some not-so-great grammar

On Friday, I had a writing workshop to attend at a local school.  When I arrived at 8:20, I had to park far down the street from the school.  Thank goodness for my scooter!  When we got in and sat down, we were told that we should all go out and move our cars, because cars parked along the street are frequently ticketed (bad signage).  Having already made the commitment to keep my foot propped up as much as possible (see http://melancholytoes.blogspot.com/2011/06/one-step-forward-two-steps-back.html), I was annoyed to have to get right back on my scooter and go check on my car.  It reminded me that I wanted to get my handicap parking tag before the tax office closed for the weekend. So on our lunch break, I drove all the way down to the tax office, parked at the back of the building, hopped to the back of my CR-V to lift out my scooter, scootered in, found out the tax office was the next building down, scootered out, reloaded my scooter, drove next door, repeated the process.  I arrived at the front of the building to a very long long, snaking all through the tax office and out the front door and down the sidewalk.  People were standing in the 99 degree heat in a 2-hour long line.  As I debated whether I could do it or not (yes, I was actually considering it, even though my foot was already hurting), a kind man told me that if I was waiting for handicap parking tags, I didn't have to wait in this line.  There is a window set aside just for me, and I could take a number and sit down to wait.  I could have kissed him!  But didn't.  
When I got inside I found this miraculous news to be true.  I was number 93, and they were currently serving number 91.  I chatted with the hip- and knee-replacement patients, got my tag, and was gone in 15 minutes, mission accomplished!
Okay, here's the not-so-great grammar part.  See the sign below.  Are any of those hyphens necessary?

No comments:

Post a Comment