Monday, October 4, 2010

I'm trying not to complain, but . . .

Today's post is difficult to write, because I'm conflicted and frustrated. The issues are:

  • Orthotics: So I have an appointment to get casted for a new (better) pair of orthotics tomorrow.  Now I'm not sure I should keep it. I am very certain that getting a new (better) pair is the right decision for my future foot health, and I was really excited to get this going. But today I found out that this pair will not be covered by my insurance either.  I paid out-of-pocket for the expensive pair two years ago, but I was led to believe (by another podiatrist, not Dr. L) that they could easily get them covered by writing a letter of medical necessity.  Not so. Now I'm faced with paying $500 for a new pair, and I'm asking the questions: "How do I know these are better? What if there's an even BETTER pair with a doctor across town? Is it worth it to have them custom made, or should I just wear the $20 WalkFit inserts I got at Bed Bath & Beyond?" The frustrating part is, I don't know who can help me answer these questions. I trusted the guy who sold me the other pair.  Now trusting a new podiatrist for a different pair, at $500, just seems risky.  
  • Surgeon: I followed the advice I've heard a few times and made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon today. I narrowed my search by calling the practice in downtown Houston that seems to be held in great esteem in our community, and then by asking who specializes in feet.  Then I read all four of their bios and picked the one who has the most experience and accolades.  Can't get in to see him for two more weeks.  I think I do need to go, just to get his opinion and to satisfy this nagging feeling that I've not yet done enough research to settle on Dr. L. Even so, I think this might make the decision between the two difficult. And it probably delays my getting orthotics, because I want to see what he recommends about those, too.  And I can't think of who can help me answer the question: "Who is the best person to operate on my foot?" I can do lots of research, but I'm sure there's insider scoop that would be so valuable.  
  • Surgery yes? Or surgery no?: This one's tough, too, although it probably shouldn't be. A few weeks ago, when my foot was so painful during the day and waking me up at night, it was easy to say, "I need to have this done." But since I started wearing the better shoe inserts and only wearing my two most sensible pairs of shoes, the pain has decreased significantly.  What does this mean? That surgery is premature at this point? It's to the point where I hope my foot will hurt, so that the decision is a no-brainer.  Ridiculous!  But that's how overwhelmed I am with all this decision-making.  Ugh.
As you can see, most of my frustration and conflict come from having TOO MUCH choice (and not enough guidance). That's why I titled this, "I'm trying not to complain."  I realize what an amazing blessing it is to have such an array of healthcare at my fingertips and to have the resources, ultimately, to pay for it.  Still, I wish preventive care were more valued by our insurance companies, and I wish I knew where to get the inside scoop on the most skilled surgeon in town, the best orthotics, and a crystal ball to divine the future of my foot if I don't have surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment